Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Sr Engineer - Electrical Systems Box Responsible Engineer (658941) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
SR Engineer – Electrical Systems Box Responsible Engineer
Electrical Box Responsible Engineer provides senior engineering skill and technical leadership to support space based electro-optic (UV, visible, and/or IR) remote sensing instrument programs.
What you’ll do:
- Electrical subsystem level technology assessment support.
- Electrical system box level concept development from definition of the electrical box architecture through to the board design, including: electrical subsystem conceptual development/trade studies, design leadership, electrical box level requirements flow-down to electronic circuit boards, electronic requirements analysis and allocation.
- Interface with Systems & Software Engineering, Integration and Test, and other engineering disciplines in leading the development of electrical concepts, trade studies, architectures, concepts for operations, and plans for verification/validation for aerospace products.
- Interface with customers and vendors.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for instrument system, focal plane system and technology development. This position requires involvement in the planning, management, cost control, schedule, and electrical subsystem engineering aspects of such programs.
- Provide technical oversight of designs (e.g., FPGA, board, box) and ensure compliant designs the meet technical budget allocations.
- Help to define and implement test and verification methodology.
- Lead resolution of hardware anomalies root cause and corrective action.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering or a related technical field plus 8 or more years of experience is required.
- A current Top Secret security clearance is preferred.
- Knowledge of electronics used with electro-optic detector and general analog electronics including noise management, grounding techniques, as well as interface to optical components, sensors, A/D converters, and high speed digital circuits.
- Development experience of redundant hardware fault tolerant electronics, self-diagnostic, architecture/design experience.
- Experience with design trades, design concepts, system specifications, and system analysis.
- Detailed design experience with "flight space qualified" electronic programs and radiation hardened environments.
- Analytical experience: FMECA, WCA, reliability, risk mitigation & parts engineering.
- Expertise in developing specifications, design and analysis documentation and presentation.
- Electronic requirements analysis and allocation, electrical subsystem conceptual development/trade studies, design leadership, supporting hardware development efforts.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to lead group discussions and to support presenting to customers & staff is required.
- Technical team leadership experience.
- Expertise in high speed digital system architectures, low noise detector system electronics, high level of design analysis capability, and integration and test experience is desired.
- Experience in developing electronics systems for classified programs.
- Embedded processor-based electronics architecture experience.
- Understanding of redundant software architectures is desired.
- Project engineering experiences a plus.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Sr Engineer - Electrical Systems Box Responsible Engineer (658941)
Job ID: 658941
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time