Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer-Attitude Determination and Control (661365) in Broomfield, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Engineer – Attitude Determination and Control
This position will report to the Manager of Systems Development, and has responsibility for leading development of attitude determination and control for space flight systems.
What you’ll do:
- Perform Attitude Determination and Control (ADCS) Engineering tasks throughout the lifecycle of programs or R&D; projects.
- Understand and refine requirements for: attitude knowledge and pointing, agility, line-of-sight stability, orbit position knowledge, delta-v accuracy, and payload sun avoidance.
- Provide analyses in the form of released documents: attitude knowledge and pointing budget, orbit determination and trajectory budget, agility analysis, maneuver settling, star tracker placement, emergency mode, control system stability.
- Manage ADCS interfaces.
- Support program gates such as the preliminary design review and critical design review.
- Estimate and manage ADCS team labor.
- Support the development, test and evaluation of hardware, software, support equipment and systems as required for ADCS.
- Support program from new business to flight including proposal support, concept development with trades; design of the ADCS; procurement, integration and test of the ADCS; on-orbit technical support for the ADCS.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Advanced computer application skills, such as Matlab, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, and other analytical tools is a strong plus.
- Experience executing ADCS for a space system from program kick- off through on orbit performance. New business experience is optional, not required
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills—ability to coordinate activities of a small team, predict and meet schedules, resolve disconnects.
- Excellent communication skills are essential including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Engineer-Attitude Determination and Control (661365)
Job ID: 661365
Location: CO - Broomfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time