Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Plant Quality Assurance Manager in Fairfield, California
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our approximately 18,700 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball is one of the world's largest manufacturers of food cans, aerosol cans, paint & general line cans, and specialty metal tins. Fruits, vegetables, soup, meat, beverages, or pet food - we make a metal can that protects products and displays them beautifully. Ball is North America's largest producer of 3-piece steel aerosol cans, Europe's leading supplier of extruded aluminum aerosol cans and the world's largest producer of aluminum slugs (disks that are later extruded into cans and bottles).
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment – exposure to these tools and methods is preferred.
The Fairfield plant was the fourth of Ball Corporation’s metal beverage packaging plants, opening in 1976. It is located on a 20-acre tract in the Southern Pacific Industrial Park, midway between San Francisco and Sacramento. The high-speed production lines make millions of aluminum recyclable cans each day for well-known soft drink and beer fillers.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Manages the plant quality assurance function as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- The plant quality assurance manager or designee is to be trained and certified in the food safety system and oversees its development, implementation, review and maintenance. Provides for trained backups in the case of absence of key food safety system employees.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the quality assurance function in the plant and its interface with the group office.
- Establishes and maintains quality assurance standard procedures, methods, facility and equipment to meet customer requirements.
- Establishes and maintains a customer relations program in plant matters relating to quality.
- Directs and implements quality training and development programs to maintain the competence and technical skills required for the effective performance of the plant quality assurance department.
- Establishes and analyzes quality areas, including quality goals, quality problems, defective materials, claims and customer quality problems. Advises plant management and the manufacturing department of the results of such analysis.
- Oversees the application and administration of the Infinity system within the plant, if applicable.
- Works with material suppliers on quality issues and cost reductions.
- Administers customer and vendor claim reimbursement systems.
- Performs leaker awareness training at the customer level.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union steward, and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually 5 days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
- Broad training in a related professional field usually acquired through college level education or work related experience.
- Job-related experience for 4 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: company policies, procedures, and products; quality assurance principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures; generally accepted managerial practices and procedures; business principles, legal practices, customer needs and expectations.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard plant quality assurance techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Ability to negotiate with customers to promote or sell ideas or concepts.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Works in both office and manufacturing environments.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
Requires short-term and long-term domestic travel. (20% travel)
Relocation for this position is Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Plant Quality Assurance Manager
Job ID: 661251
Location: CA - Fairfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time