Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Chief, Quality Control in Goodyear, Arizona
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our approximately 18,700 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball's largest business is the manufacture of recyclable beverage cans and ends. A lot of engineering and technology goes into making beverage packaging at speeds of more than 2,000 cans a minute. We operate beverage can facilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia - about one in every four beverage cans in the world is made by Ball - and our products are used by the most recognizable beverage brands in the world.
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment – exposure to these tools and methods is preferred.
This is for our new, state-of-the-art beverage packaging plant in
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant's production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Leads personnel in the on-floor efforts of the inspection of materials and products.
- Conducts inspection of in-process materials and in-process and finished product to meet customer specifications.
- Advises production when inspection results do not meet customer specifications.
- Performs on-the-job training and development of assigned personnel.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies and materials required for assigned areas.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Performs troubleshooting and preventative maintenance on inspection equipment as required.
- May perform customer service calls for assigned customers.
- May assist with gage calibration.
- May interpret basics of SPC (statistical process control).
- May provide the crew with support and technical expertise for the Infinity system.
- May produce printing plates for the crew on a back up basis or as needed.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Performs production operator’s duties as assigned for break relief.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job-related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard quality control techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Ability to identify product defects using appropriate inspection procedures and test equipment.
- Ability to understand the changeover process according to the SOPs.
- Ability to effectively train personnel.
- Ability to effectively lead personnel.
- Ability to learn customer specifications.
- Ability to maintain inspection equipment.
- Ability to use charts and graphs.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Chief, Quality Control
Job ID: 661466
Location: AZ - Goodyear
Full/Part Time: Full-Time