Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Electrician Apprentice in Horsham, Pennsylvania
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high-quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our approximately 18,700 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball Corporation is headquartered at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Broomfield, Colo., where skiing, mountain biking, hiking, climbing and other outdoor sports are world-renowned. Around the world, we have operations in North and South America, Europe and Asia.
The Horsham plant is located north of Philadelphia, conveniently just a few miles off the Pennsylvania turnpike. The plant runs 16 lines to manufacture 100 percent recyclable steel aerosol cans for personal care, household, paint and automotive products.
The Electrical Apprentice’s primary role is to obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to become an Electronic Technician. Electronic Technicians assist Plant Maintenance and Production personnel in maintaining an efficient operation by utilizing all necessary abilities to troubleshoot, repair and adjust equipment with a minimal amount of down time .They also assist Engineering in development, improvement and installation of equipment’s. The Electrical apprentice is an interim electrical position with potential progression to Electronic Technician.
The Electrical apprentice will receive classroom and on hands-on training at the plant, Apprentice performance will be evaluated periodically. Perform electrical tasks and assist plant maintenance towards the objective of successfully passing the written and hands-on electrical tests.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies, and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system
- Understand & demonstrate use of the principles of electricity, electronics and control systems
- Demonstrate an understanding of the National Electrical Code and NFPA 70-E
- Plan layout of electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures consistent with specifications and local codes
- Measure, cut, bend, thread, assemble and install electrical conduits
- Install control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, outlets, relays, and circuit-breaker panels, Switches, Push Buttons
- Connect wiring to circuit breakers, transformers, lighting fixtures, thermostats, power equipment, or other components
- Diagnose and repair or replace malfunctioning apparatus and components, such as transformers, circuit breakers, fuses, motors, relays and fixtures
- Interpret machine manuals, schematics and engineering drawings relative to equipment assigned
- Performs preventative maintenance on assigned electrical systems and equipment.
- Maintain area, tools and equipment in a clean, safe and proper manner
- May assist in the design, experimentation, and/or installation of all new plant equipment or electrical production procedures.
- Performs clean-up and housekeeping duties, Follow Good Manufacturing Practice
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while complying safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Works under general or minimum supervision within parameters set by management.
- Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Complete all mandatory training
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through High School education, technical school or equivalent work experience.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: Electronics, electrical-mechanical devices, transmission systems, interface units, AC/DC motors, wiring diagrams and schematics, computers, and testing and measuring devices. safety practices, and basic knowledge of national electrical code (NEC).
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment, i.e., electrical test equipment, hand tools, etc. and the ability to use logic to troubleshoot equipment.
- Ability to use basic hand and power tools, Electronic test equipment (Multimeter, Megger, Scopes etc.)
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for electrical, electronic, Pneumatic, and hydraulic.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position may exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- May work in high places and in lifts.
- May require working with or near energized 480 VAC circuits.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Electrician Apprentice
Job ID: 661621
Location: PA - Horsham
Full/Part Time: Full-Time